Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bali Continued...

Our time in Bali is beginning to come towards an end.  Our time here has been life changing.  Learning about the Balinese culture and traveling in Asia for the first time (my first time, not Sky's) has changed me in ways I didn't think possible.  It is so easy to go through life and never challenge, never question, take things for granted.  My time here has held a mirror up to some of the ways I have not been completely present with myself and I will leave this magical place with new tools and Ganesha (the Hindu god who guides people through change and helps to remove obstacles) by my side.  There are beautiful statues of Ganesha everywhere in Bali and I will always think back on them with love and acceptance.


Back to our travels... since I wrote last we have enjoyed fabulous food, massages, facials, lots of Bintang (Balinese beer) and even tried the local liquor Arak (I wouldn't recommend it, kind of like Tequila but not in a good way and you know how much I love Tequila).  We ventured out to the Volcano, Kintamane and had some beach time at Jimbalon bay.  Our first night here we met a new friend, Sampo, and he has been so great to us.  Taking us to see the sights, inviting us watch him play the Gamalon in the Barong dance and even hooking us up with a great place to stay. 







Tomorrow we are taking a Balinese cooking class and I promise to cook for you all when we get back.  Balinese food is delicious- lots of rice and fried noodles, tofu, peanut sauces, a hint of sweetness to most everything. So far the Nasi Goreng (fried rice) is my favorite but the fried bananas and black rice pudding with warm coconut comes in a close second.

Our next stop is Amsterdam where we will stay with good friends and travel around a few weeks before moving on to our next big adventure.

Love to you all,
Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment